In the fall of 2018, Northern College opened its new 40,000-sq.-foot Integrated Emergency Services Complex, which houses pre-service firefighter, paramedic and police foundations programs. The facility features a mock courtroom, a jail cell, scenario labs and a fire tower. There’s also an advanced disaster management simulator (ADMS), which replicates a centralized command centre during a disaster. It is the first of its kind in Canada.
The ADMS isn’t the only piece of specialized equipment on offer at Northern. The college also uses virtual reality simulators in programs ranging from construction and maintenance electrician to health care.
Northern College has four campuses in Timmins, Haileybury, Kirkland Lake and Moosonee. The college offers a range of diploma, certificate, apprenticeship, academic upgrading and continuing education programs as well as a bachelor of science in nursing with Laurentian University. Student residences are available at the Timmins and Haileybury campuses; they feature single and double rooms, and suites.
Northern students and faculty conduct applied research in areas such as mining, the labour market, firefighting and communications.
Indigenous students can use support services on campus. The services include academic advisers and Elder guidance at all four campuses.
|Size of school||Tuition (degree)||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)||$6,975||$3,482-$6,202||$3,160-$12,191||$3,160-$3,771||Yes|
- Water and Wastewater Systems: Students in this environmental technician program receive hands-on training in the classroom. There is a fully functioning and operational scaled version of a water treatment plant.
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering Technician: This diploma program teaches students to maintain and calibrate the equipment used to control industry processes.
- Wildlife Rehabilitation: A one-year extension to the school’s veterinary technician diploma, this program teaches students to care for wild animals that are orphaned or injured.
- Social Service Worker
- Veterinary Technology Wildlife Rehabilitation
- Veterinary Technician
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing