Northern Lights College offers upgrading, academic and professional programs, trades and apprenticeship training, and continuing education programs. Seven campuses and access centres in Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, Dease Lake, Fort Nelson, Fort St. John, Tumbler Ridge and Atlin educate students across the northernmost third of British Columbia.
The Centre of Training Excellence for Oil and Gas, which coordinates oil and gas training in British Columbia, is located at the college’s Fort St. John campus. It boasts a unique simulated well-site training facility and other programs related to the energy industry.
The Dawson Creek campus is home to three state-of-the-art training facilities. Northern Lights College has an internationally renowned aircraft maintenance program, and a fleet of aircraft is housed in a 26,000-sq.-foot aerospace hangar. Energy House, the centerpiece of the Centre of Excellence for Clean Energy Technology, produces all its energy needs through wind, solar, biomass and geothermal systems. The building also supplies power to a new $33-million trades training facility that opened in the autumn of 2018.
The Fort St. John and Dawson Creek campuses feature apartment-style student housing. Four of the campuses at Northern Lights College have Indigenous student advisers and gathering spaces.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)||$3,400-$5,100||$1,700-$6,900||$3,400||Yes|
- Wind Turbine Maintenance: Students learn both the theory behind turbines and the practical maintenance of turbines.
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: The college has a fleet of 15 aircraft. The program provides the full training and 1½ years of the four-year experience component required for licensing.
- Early Childhood Education and Care: Students can complete this program online, learning the skills needed to work with young children through a combination of academic and practical exercises.
- Business Management
- Early Childhood Education and Care
- University Arts and Sciences
- Career and College Preparation