Northern Lights College (NLC) serves the northern part of British Columbia, a geographic area of approximately 325,000 sq. km. NLC campuses are located on the territories of Indigenous peoples: the Cree, Dene, Dunne-Za, Kaska, Saulteau, Tse’khene, Tahltan and Tlingit. The region is one of extremes: it is a land of forests and lakes, foothills and mountains.
The school’s roots run deep in the communities the school serves. Campuses and access centres exist in Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, Dease Lake, Fort Nelson, Fort St. John and Tumbler Ridge.
NLC offers academic, trades and continuing education programming. The Centre of Training Excellence for Oil and Gas is at the college’s Fort St. John campus. It boasts a unique simulated well-site training facility and other programs related to the energy industry. Energy House, the centrepiece of the school’s Centre of Excellence for Clean Energy Technology, satisfies all of its energy needs through wind, solar, biomass and geothermal systems.
At the Dawson Creek campus, the school runs its internationally renowned aircraft maintenance program. NLC’s fleet of 15 aircraft is housed in a 26,000-sq.-foot aerospace hangar; the fleet includes a Westwind jet that was donated to the school and used to train service members of the Canadian Armed Forces, the United States Air Force and the United States Navy.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)||$3,636-$4,682||$3,636-$6,906||$3,586||Yes|
- Wind Turbine Maintenance: Students learn the theory behind turbines and the practical maintenance of turbines.
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: The college has a fleet of 15 aircraft. The program provides the full training and 1.5 years of the four-year experience component required for licensing.
- Early Childhood Education and Care: Students learn the skills needed to work with young children through a combination of academic and practical exercises. Students can complete the program online.
- Business Management—Diploma
- Business Management—Post-Degree Diploma
- Social Services Worker Diploma
- Early Childhood Education and Care
- Associate of Arts Degree