The region where Northlands College resides encompasses 46 per cent of Saskatchewan’s land mass but has less than four per cent of its population. The college has campuses in Air Ronge, La Ronge, Buffalo Narrows and Creighton and offers select programs in other communities in northern Saskatchewan. Program areas include health, technical and vocational, trades, adult basic education, mining and university courses. Students can complete a four-year bachelor of science in nursing at Northlands in partnership with the University of Saskatchewan.
In 2017, Northlands opened a mine school, offering both diploma and certificate training. Its mine-engineering technician diploma is the only one in Canada offering in-class instruction along with labs, field schools and a work placement. Students may work in a simulator to hone their skills on relevant equipment before they enter the field. The school also offers a civil technician certificate, and this year Northlands introduced the mineral exploration techniques program. The one-year program goes over geology and geomorphology through labs and field work.
The La Ronge campus has student apartments, and there are small residences in Creighton and Buffalo Narrows.
Northlands College is one of seven regional colleges that provide courses created by other educational providers in Saskatchewan.
|Size of school||Tuition (degree)||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Residence offerings|
|Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)||$10,000||$9,000||$7,775||Yes|
- Power Lineman Fundamentals: This eight-week course includes an introduction to safety, tools and heavy machinery.
- Health-Care Cook: This program teaches students how to plan menus, modify dishes for dietary restrictions and prepare food for hospitals and other health-care facilities.
- Mineral Exploration Techniques: Students will finish this one-year program with the skills to work on a mineral exploration team. The program includes functional math and sampling methods and protocols.
- Adult Basic Education 12
- Powerline Technician Fundamentals
- Mental Health and Wellness
- Bachelor of Education
- Business Administration