Northwestern Polytechnic (formerly Grande Prairie Regional College) reflects the entrepreneurial energy of the region it represents. Established as a college more than five decades ago, the institution received its polytechnic designation in 2021. With campuses in Grande Prairie and Fairview, the institution serves students from across Alberta, Canada and the world. Students pursue a wide variety of credentials, ranging from certificates and diplomas to degrees. The degree programs are offered in collaboration with other institutions and include nursing, social work, education and business administration. NWP also offers a dual credit program, giving high school students the chance to complete college credits as early as Grade 11.
There are four schools at NWP, each devoted to specific areas of learning: Applied Science and Technology, Health and Education, Skilled Trades, and Business. The institution is also home to the National Bee Diagnostic Centre, an advanced genetics microbiology lab where students study honeybee pests, pathogens and parasites, and also research clean technologies, animal health and social innovation.
The school’s support for Indigenous students includes an on-campus Friendship Centre, an Elder-in-residence program, an Indigenous liaison coordinator, and a student group that facilitates cultural and social activities.
• Health Care Aide Certificate: Students prepare for immediate entry into the workforce and are ready to work in a range of health care settings, including continuing care, home care and acute care hospitals.
• Bachelor of Education—Teacher Education North: Focused on rural and Indigenous education, this program prepares students to become qualified elementary teachers in northern communities.
• ThinkBIG Service Technician: Over two years, students gain globally recognized hands-on training and advanced technical knowledge to service Caterpillar heavy equipment.
• Collaborative Degree: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
• Business Administration Certificate
• University Transfer: Bachelor of Education
• University Transfer: Bachelor of Arts
• Early Learning and Child Care Certificate
• Degree: $5,705-$8,269
• Diploma: $5,367-$9,606
• Certificate: $3,367-$8,856