Olds College is the largest agricultural college in Alberta and maintains the small class sizes and hands-on training it has had since the college opened more than a century ago. Most of its approximately 1,400 students attend the main campus in the town of Olds, while the rest study at the Calgary site, which is home to the school’s Fashion Institute. The school’s extensive facilities include the new Olds College Smart Farm—a “farm of the future” that employs the latest technologies to improve productivity and uses resources sustainably. The 2,800-acre smart farm is home to 160 cows and 120 sheep, as well as the Smart Ag Innovation Centre, which houses and analyzes data from the farm. The college offers programming in agriculture, horticulture, land and environment management, animal science, food production, business and trades. The Olds College Centre of Innovation and Smart Farm focus on accelerating the development and adoption of technologies and practices that improve productivity, profitability and sustainability in the agricultural and agri-food industries through applied research.
Students can opt to live on the main campus in townhouse-style residences that accommodate up to four people per unit or in the newer Centennial Village residence. Its 450 single rooms have double beds and private washrooms. Communal spaces include a fitness centre and a large student lounge with a fireplace and big-screen TV.
|Size of school||Tuition (degree)||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-graduate)||Residence offerings|
- Turfgrass Management Diploma: Learn the basics of managing agronomic environments and gain skills in golf course construction and soil management. The program includes a summer internship.
- Land and Water Resources Diploma: Students focus on building a sustainable environment for future generations through research in land reclamation, rural planning, land management and environmental stewardship.
- Bachelor of Applied Science—Agribusiness: Students with a two-year diploma in an agricultural discipline learn business and management skills for the agricultural industry.
- Agricultural Management Diploma
- Business Management Diploma
- Animal Health Technology Diploma
- Bachelor of Applied Science Degree