The Southern Alberta Institute of Technology is Canada’s first publicly funded polytechnic and Calgary’s oldest post-secondary institution.
SAIT offers more than 100 career programs and more than 1,400 part-time courses. Its main campus is near downtown Calgary. Students can opt to live in one of two modern high-rise residences located at the northeast corner of campus, featuring amenities like on-site laundry, recreation/study space and around-the-clock security.
In September 2017, SAIT celebrated the opening of five new learning facilities — the Career Exploration Centre, the Crane and Ironworker Facility, the Gene Haas Foundation CNC labs, a metal machining facility, a culinary facility called the Tastemarket by SAIT, and the Green Building Technologies Lab and Demonstration Centre. The launch of these five state-of-the-art facilities dramatically enhances the learning environment for students and underscores SAIT’s commitment to applied education.
Like other polytechnics, SAIT is a skills-intensive, technology-based institute. It has close industry ties, emphasizes applied research and innovation, and offers four-year bachelor’s degrees. In partnership with the University of Calgary and Innovate Calgary, SAIT houses the Kinetica Innovation Centre, which provides collaborative lab space to develop technology for the energy sector.
|Size of school||Tuition (degree)||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$1,942-$7,085||$2,246-$12,973||$2,315-$17,133||$5,058-$18,143||Yes|
• Culinary Entrepreneurship: This year-long certificate program enables students to hone their skills in business and hospitality while working in a hands-on restaurant facility.
• Butchery and Charcuterie Management: A unique program in Canada which teaches curing and production methods for salamis, prosciutto and sausages along with a theoretical and practical understanding of meat processing.
• Railway Conductor: A certificate program that blends classroom and lab instruction with sessions in a private mini-rail yard.
• Business Administration
• Information Technology
• Academic Upgrading (high school equivalency)
• Civil Engineering Technology