Set in a region with a significant demand for labour in the energy and industry sectors, Southeast College’s Estevan campus is home to the Saskatchewan Energy Training Institute. This 44,000-sq.-foot facility has ample classroom space and three specialized labs. It also features a state-of-the-art confined-space simulator and fall-arrest simulator, designed to realistically but safely prepare students for work and rescue scenarios.
Southeast has six campuses in Assiniboia, Estevan, Moosomin, Weyburn, Indian Head and Whitewood. Students may stay close to home while pursuing their education. The college specializes in safety, trades and technical training; more than 70 per cent of students are enrolled in those areas. But the school also offers other certificate programs, including English language training, a diploma in early childhood education and first-year university programs in education, pre-social work, health sciences and the liberal arts. Southeast offers continuing education in agriculture, business, computers and truck-driver training.
The college’s Fuelling the Future campaign directs scholarship funds from employers such as Enbridge and SaskPower toward students enrolled in training programs that are linked to the companies’ operational needs.
Southeast College is one of seven colleges in Saskatchewan that offer courses created by other educational providers in the province.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Residence offerings|
|Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)||$5,500||$2,465-$7,950||No|
- Industrial Mechanic: An 18-week course teaches students about machinery that is commonly used in many industries and introduces students to preventative maintenance. Graduates work everywhere from meat packing to power generation.
- Hairstylist: Students learn how to perform techniques on hair, wigs, hairpieces, skin and nails. The school operates its own Teach and Trim training salon.
- Heavy Equipment and Truck and Transport Technician: This 36-week certificate program gives students basic training in two high-demand mechanical trades at the same time.
- First-Year University
- Continuing Care Assistant
- Practical Nursing
- Heavy Equipment and Truck and Transport Technician