The only university on Prince Edward Island, UPEI has eight faculties: arts, business, education, graduate studies, nursing, science, sustainable design engineering and veterinary medicine. All first-year students have to choose one of three mandatory courses: writing studies, inquiry studies or university studies.
With 60 exchange agreements with universities in 28 countries, UPEI’s international exchange program can hold its own with those found at larger schools. In keeping with UPEI’s efforts to internationalize, international students hail from 80 countries. The student union pairs international students with Canadian students to help them feel at home.
“Our priority at UPEI is to position our graduates for success in a rapidly changing world,” says president Alaa Abd-El-Aziz. “The best way to ensure this is by introducing our students to different cultures, whether on campus or around the world.”
At the heart of campus is the historic quadrangle, known for its distinctive red-brick buildings, which date back to the 19th century. Modern buildings have been added over the years, including a student centre, an apartment-style residence and a recreation centre with a 25-m pool and two NHL-size rinks. After extensive renovations, Dalton Hall reopened in 2018 as the Student Experience Hub, with student services and programs combined under one roof. The southeast part of campus borders on the farmers’ market, and the sandy splendour of Brackley Beach is just a short distance away.
• Sustainable Design Engineering: This program employs a project-based model linked to industry and focuses on developing products, processes, services and solutions in environmental and resource sustainability.
• Global Affairs: This master’s program, a partnership between UPEI and Madrid’s Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, prepares students for careers in international relations, law, diplomacy and refugee rights.
• Math and Computational Sciences: Core majors in math, stats and computer science are on offer, as well as specialized majors, giving students in-demand skills to extract, manage and analyze data.
• May-mester: Over the month of May, students experience new cultures while travelling to various countries for courses in a variety of subjects led by UPEI faculty.
• History of Rock and Roll From Presley to Punk: Students look at the relationship between iconic performers and the eras they rocked.
Minimum Entering Grades
Arts: 70% · Science: 70% · Commerce: 71% · Engineering: 74%
Undergraduates: Full-time: 3,627 ·
Graduates: Full-time: 427 · Part-time: 4
International Students: First-year: 25% ·
Male-Female Ratio: 39 to 61
444 (approx. 150 reserved for first-year students)
Double room with meals: $9,264 to $11,102 · Single room with meals: $10,604 to $11,432 · Apartment-style: $6,328