Did you know of the last four British monarchs, two were spares? Yes, sometimes the heir dies (or walks away), and the spare has to step in to save the monarchy. Here’s a look back at the vital spare through history.
For 22 years until William arrived, and then Harry, Andrew was the spare to Charles. Proclaimed a heartthrob in his teens, he has been engulfed by a series of scandals, the first of which began when his relationship with a soft-porn actress was revealed after he returned from serving as a helicopter pilot during the Falklands War in 1982. (Mirrorpix/Everett Collection/CP)
Here’s more of Maclean’s in-depth coverage of the birth of the second royal baby:
- The new royal baby is more than a spare to the heir
- HRH Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge: A royal infographic
- What will a new princess mean for the economy?
- How has Prince George stayed so invisible—and can Charlotte do the same?
- A labour of love: Patricia Treble’s eight stages of the #GreatKateWait
- Recapping a princess’s whirlwind 12 hours
- Have a romp through Princess Charlotte’s London