Tony Clement, July 18. Sudbury is better off now than it was two and a half years ago when Vale Inco Ltd. bought the former Inco Ltd., says Canada’s Industry minister. If the Brazilian-owned Companhia Vale do Rio Doce hadn’t bought it, Inco would “not exist, it would have been closed down, it would have been liquidated if there wasn’t a buyer,” said Tony Clement in a telephone interview late Friday afternoon. “There was going to be no buyer, there were going to be no jobs, there weren’t going to be any capital investments, there was going to be no employer,” said Clement. “That was the Valley of Death that Sudbury faced.”
Tony Clement, July 22. Amid a sea of anger, federal Industry Minister Tony Clement stood his ground Tuesday over comments he made about the sale of Inco in Sudbury back in 2006 … “I think it’s an accurate comment and I’m not sure what all the hubbub is about quite frankly,” Clement said in Calgary.
Tony Clement, July 24. Industry Minister Tony Clement says he made “a pretty bone-headed remark” to The Sudbury Star last week when he said Sudbury was facing becoming the “Valley of Death” if Vale Inco had not purchased Inco … “Like every other human being, sometimes you say things” that weren’t what you meant to say, said the minister.
Looking for more?
Get the best of Maclean's sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for news, commentary and analysis.