First, Mr. Harper announced confidence votes will be delayed for a week. On Saturday, the government backed off the politically incendiary idea of eliminating public subsidies for political parties. Then, it cancelled a proposed removal of the right to strike from public-sector unions… Then, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty… announced a Jan. 27 budget, the day after the House returns from its Christmas break. – from Jeffrey Simpson’s column in the Globe
Other things Stephen Harper is willing to do to avoid losing power:.
- Announce emergency plan to personally shovel everybody’s driveway this winter.
- Those clothes in your dryer – do those need folding?
- Admit he was never really writing that goddamn hockey book.
- Launch splashy ad campaign highlighted by slogan: “Stéphane Dion: Not Only a Leader, But Also Very Handsome.”
- Install donkey wheel under 24 Sussex – when house disappears like island in Lost, then who’ll have the upper hand you sniveling weasels? HA HA HA!!!!
- Anything. Anything!
Looking for more?
Get the best of Maclean's sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for news, commentary and analysis.