Ghomeshi speaks out about his dismissal from CBC

Statement says Ghomeshi will commence a grievance for reinstatement with the CBC


 
  12
Photo courtesy of CBC

Photo courtesy of CBC

TORONTO — “Q” radio host Jian Ghomeshi says he has been fired from the CBC because they believed his “sexual behaviour was unbecoming of a prominent host” on the public broadcaster.

Ghomeshi made the claim in a startling Facebook post Sunday that surfaced just hours after CBC issued a statement saying they were severing ties with the popular personality because of “information” they’d received about him. After that announcement, a Toronto law firm representing Ghomeshi issued a brief statement saying it would launch a lawsuit against the CBC.

“I’ve been fired from the CBC because of the risk of my private sex life being made public as a result of a campaign of false allegations pursued by a jilted ex girlfriend and a freelance writer,” Ghomeshi said in the post, which a publicist confirmed had indeed been written by the radio host.

CBC says the decision to cut ties with Ghomeshi was “not made without serious deliberation” and that it would contest a lawsuit if served with legal documents. It declined to comment on the Facebook post, citing the pending suit.

In the post, Ghomeshi said he has “always been interested in a variety of activities in the bedroom” but only engages in “sexual practices that are mutually agreed upon, consensual, and exciting for both partners.”

He said he began to date a woman in her late 20s two years ago and that they had an “affectionate, casual and passionate” relationship that involved “adventurous forms of sex.” He went on to say he ended their relationship earlier this year, which upset the woman, and that early in the spring there was “a campaign of harassment, vengeance and demonization” that resulted in “months of anxiety.”

He went on to say in the post: “It came to light that a woman had begun anonymously reaching out to people that I had dated (via Facebook) to tell them she had been a victim of abusive relations with me. In other words, someone was reframing what had been an ongoing consensual relationship as something nefarious. I learned _ through one of my friends who got in contact with this person _ that someone had rifled through my phone on one occasion and taken down the names of any woman I had seemed to have been dating in recent years. This person had begun methodically contacting them to try to build a story against me.”

In addition, he asserted in the post: “Someone also began colluding with a freelance writer who was known not to be a fan of mine and, together, they set out to try to find corroborators to build a case to defame me.”

Ghomeshi said he has been open with CBC about the matter and that he has “never believed it was anyone’s business” what he does in his private affairs but that he wanted his bosses to be aware of the situation.

“CBC has been part of the team of friends and lawyers assembled to deal with this for months,” he wrote. “On Thursday I voluntarily showed evidence that everything I have done has been consensual. I did this in good faith and because I know, as I have always known, that I have nothing to hide. This when the CBC decided to fire me.”

“CBC execs confirmed that the information provided showed that there was consent. In fact, they later said to me and my team that there is no question in their minds that there has always been consent. They said they’re not concerned about the legal side. But then they said that this type of sexual behaviour was unbecoming of a prominent host on the CBC. They said that I was being dismissed for ‘the risk of the perception that may come from a story that could come out.’ To recap, I am being fired in my prime from the show I love and built and threw myself into for years because of what I do in my private life.”

Toronto law firm Dentons Canada LLP says the action will claim general and punitive damages for breach of confidence and bad faith in the amount of $50 million. The law firm said documents would be filed on Monday in court but did not elaborate.

The statement also said Ghomeshi will commence a grievance for reinstatement with the CBC under his collective agreement.

On Friday, Ghomeshi, 47, tweeted that he was taking some “much needed personal time” away from the broadcaster. That came after an emotional posting on his Facebook page earlier this month about the recent death of his father.

It wasn’t immediately clear what would happen to “Q,” a daily national talk show on CBC Radio One and CBC-TV which Ghomeshi co-created. Thompson said “it’s not uncommon for CBC to use guest hosts on Q and that’s what we’ll be doing for the foreseeable future.”

The departure leaves a gaping hole in the broadcaster’s lineup. Ghomeshi was not only a force on radio but did TV appearances as well, and offered a dose of urbane cool to the often stodgy CBC.

“Q,” which launched in 2007, is also broadcast on over 180 NPR/PRI stations and syndicated in the U.S. Julia Yager, a spokeswoman for PRI, said the radio broadcaster will “work with the CBC as they plan what is next for Q.”

Ghomeshi has enjoyed a meteoric rise and publications like the New York Times and Toronto Life magazine have done lengthy profiles on him.

His most well-known interview was his 2009 encounter with Billy Bob Thornton, which became a YouTube sensation. The actor wanted to talk about his musical endeavours and became gruff after the host asked him about his film career.

Ghomeshi is also a published author, with the 2012 memoir “1982” and articles in various papers. He also hosted the CBC-TV program “Play.”

Ghomeshi had been scheduled to host the Scotiabank Giller Prize gala on CBC-TV on Nov. 10 in Toronto. But Elana Rabinovitch, a spokeswoman for the book prize, said in an email Sunday he will no longer preside over the gala.


 
Filed under:

Ghomeshi speaks out about his dismissal from CBC

  1. A necessary thought experiment:

    Suppose it was Ezra, rather than Jian. What would your initial reaction be then?

    • Well, once I got over the shock of finding out that Ezra had a sex life I would say the same thing…..what goes on behind closed doors between consenting adults is not anyone’s business and it certainly isn’t a justification for firing.

  2. If the allegations are true that would be terrible and poor judgement on CBC’s behalf. But Jian, I have a difficult time accepting you are suing our nation’s public broadcaster (and indirectly, the taxpayer) for such an obscene amount of money when the CBC is in the midst of cuts and layoffs. You’ve told your story now put this behind you and move along. There are plenty of other networks who would be happy and lucky to have you.

  3. It is ironic that the CBC, which caters to the feminist-liberal, urban left almost NEVER covers real difficult men’s issues like this… which happen ALL the time.

    The accused… life ruined…often falsely… from a jilted girlfriend or bad date. There is zero discussion and zero awareness because it might actually challenge them to think away from the scripted, politically correct muck that they (CBC) helped create..

    Only until it is your son, or one of their own, does it hit hard and cause confusion about the lack of any rights for the accused. This happens ALL the time. (Google new assault rules at Harvard) that feminists and Obama have rolled out.

    Good luck Jian- I feel for you and maybe you can start a men’s and boys issues show at your next job and talk about why liberalism ignores human rights for men and boys. You can always contact the Dept. of Status of Men for support…wait…there is none.

  4. How nice of Macleans to do Jian’s PR work for free by uncritically reposting his (poorly) scripted PR narrative. Hope he at least has the courtesy to send a thank you card!

  5. Hey…guilty of misconduct or not…

    Just imagine the depravity of someone’s sex life if it made the folks at (Anything goes) CBC lose their lunch.

    C’mon CBC….you’ve covered the PRIDE parade. What haven’t you seen so far?

  6. This article is obviously biased in favour of Ghomeshi. Since he is a public figure, his actions, both personal and public, reflect upon his employer and if anything he does or says may have negative consequences then they have every right to terminate his employment. That said, I would like to see beter quality articles submitted to MaClean’s.

  7. I have no idea whether or not his dismissal was reasonable or justified. But his lawsuit is a hollow threat. According to both federal and Ontario labour law, no member of a collective bargaining unit may sue his employer. Any dispute must be taken up through the arbitration process as established in the collective bargaining agreement. All union members automatically lose their right to sue their employer. This principle is so thoroughly established in Canadian labour law that I cannot see a judge spending more than 5 minutes on Ghomeshi’s case before throwing it out.

  8. Now that the Fords are gone (mostly) Toronto now has another another gong-show to follow.

    • The difference of course, is that the Rob Ford’s behaviour only hurt Rob Ford. According to the latest reports, Jian Gomeshi made it a habit to punch, slap, and choke any female that he could corner in his apartment.

Sign in to comment.