95

Justin Trudeau: ‘The attack is unforgivable’

Transcript of the Liberal leader’s remarks to Canada


 

The following is the prepared text of Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau’s remarks on Parliament Hill this evening.

I am deeply saddened by today’s horrific events here in Ottawa, and unreservedly condemn these brutal and heartless acts of violence.

This attack is unforgivable. Should any other perpetrators or co-conspirators exist, they must be caught and be punished to the full force of our laws. I’ve extended an offer of full support to the government, along with any assistance members of our party can provide at this time.

My thoughts and prayers, along with those of my colleagues, go out to the family and friends of the victims of today’s horrific shooting, including Cpl. Nathan Frank Cirillo, who was standing dutifully, guarding one of our nation’s most sacred monuments.

Words cannot express the deep sadness we feel today over his loss.

To the brave women and men who rushed to the scene to confront the shooter, and help keep us safe, I can say only thank you. Thank you for your selfless courage and your professionalism in a time of crisis.

In the days that follow, there will be questions, anger and perhaps confusion. This is natural, but we cannot let it get the better of us. Losing ourselves to fear and speculation is the intention of those who commit these heinous acts.

They mean to shake us. We will remain resolved.

They want us to forget ourselves. Instead, we should remember.

We should remember who we are. We are a proud democracy, a welcoming and peaceful nation, and a country of open arms and open hearts. We are a nation of fairness, justice and the rule of law.

We will not be intimidated into changing that.

If anything, these are the values and principles to which we must hold on even tighter. Our dedication to democracy and the institutions we have built is the foundation of our society. And a continued belief in both will guide us correctly into the future. Staying true to our values in a time of crisis will make us an example to the world.

Criminals cannot and will not dictate to us how we act as a nation, how we govern ourselves or how we treat each other. They cannot and will not dictate our values. And they do not get to decide how we use our shared public spaces.

Today we heard about a loss of innocence in Canada. This is inaccurate. Canada is not innocent to the threats we face, and we know that we are not immune. What is true is that we have not let those threats shape us, and we have never bowed to those who mean to undermine our values and way of life.

We have remained Canadians. And this should be how we will carry on.

We deserve answers to how and why this happen. They will be vital in preventing any potential future attack.

To our friends and fellow citizens in the Muslim community, Canadians know acts such as these committed in the name of Islam are an aberration of your faith. Continued mutual cooperation and respect will help prevent the influence of distorted ideological propaganda posing as religion. We will walk forward together, not apart.

In the coming days, we will be inundated with pictures and videos showing what happened today. But there is one in particular we should remember: the picture in our minds we have of a Canadian guarding Canadians. That is who we truly are. That is who we will continue to be.


 

Justin Trudeau: ‘The attack is unforgivable’

  1. Justin Trudeau is an idiot asking the rest of us to believe his lie that Islam is a religion of peace. STOP WITH THAT LIE!! JUST STOP! You cannot separate the “politics” of Islam from the religion. If anyone would just pick up the Q’uran and actually READ it, a child could see they are supposed to kill anyone who is NOT going to submit. The word Islam MEANS to submit. There is no such thing as a moderate Muslim. There are good Muslims who do what the Q’uran says, such as kill all who do not submit, and the bad Muslims who DO NOT do what the Q’uran says. Justin Trudeau, you are a liar. Islam is a death cult and they CANNOT share the earth with any who do not believe in their medieval ideology. Sure, we love the Muslim as a person, but we hate the ideology of Islam — THAT IS CANADA! A democracy! Justin, you put all Canadians lives in peril when you sleep with the enemy! Shame on you and shame on all of us for not calling a spade a spade. I will no longer tolerate this policitical correctness in my life! Political correctness is useless when you head is chopped off! STOP WITH THE LIES! STOP! EVERYONE!

    • You are so completely correct this should be an editorial in every newspaper in Canada. But of course, its not politically correct to call a spade a spade. If this utterly untrustworthy media whore becomes our prime minister in a year, we are doomed. Pandering, pandering and more pandering is all he knows how to do. I’m utterly disgusted to read his words. Whether this incident was isolated or not, one gunman or not, the fact that it was committed by a militant Islamist is enough to categorize it as an act of terror. Say and believe what you wish, but from the comments in various media in the last 24 hours, clearly millions of Canadians are truly concerned by this country’s prospects if this allowance for hatred of our values is allowed to continue within our midst. Mr. Trudeau seems to be fine with that as long as he’s elected. Shame on you!!

      • The facts on this case will not deter the racist propaganda certain people will be spreading at every opportunity.

        • And what are the “facts” that we know so far Gayle?

          Here is the most important one.

          1. The shooter was a loser for most of his life.
          2. The shooter converted to ISLAM.

          Put these two together, and you simply get a very dangerous loser with a culture of hatred to guide him.

          and by the way Gayle……race has nothing to do with ISLAM. It is a religion willing to impart hatred and fanatacism upon anyone exposed to it. It is an equal opportunity parasitic ideology.

          • The facts on this case will not deter the bigoted propaganda certain people will be spreading at every opportunity.

            There you go. Fixed it.

            And thanks for proving my point

          • Gayle,

            Propoganda is based on twisting the truth, or simply lying about your opponents.

            What I wrote is 100% true.

            And deep down…..you know it.

          • almost forgot, Gayle,

            the only “point” you have….is the one which forms the top of your head.

    • Your state of agitation makes me nervous.

  2. It’s unbelievable that neither Justin Trudeau or Thomas Mulcair can get themselves to acknowledge that this was a terrorist attack. They literally will not say the word “terror”. How completely out of touch can they get?

    • Why are you trying to make this about politics? Justin Trudeau & Tom Mulcair have both condemned the attack on Parliament. Why does the specific label or words they use matter so much? You cannot generalize about all Canadian Muslims like ‘PearlyQ’ above is saying. They are not all violent. Trudeau & Mulcair know that we have to wait until the police complete their investigation before jumping to conclusions.

      • Joshua,

        You cannot solve a problem until you are ready to recognize it, and call it what it is.

        This was a “terrorist” attack, caused by ISLAM. there is no denying that, but based upon reading trudeau’s speech, one would think this was just an everyday robbery.
        And PearlyQ did not say all MUSLIMS are violent, but what he wrote is true in the sense that ALL GOOD MUSLIMS are violent if they follow the Quran.

        Just keep your head in the sand Josh. With a last name like yours….you’re a bigger target than the rest of us.

        • Right. Unless you need to identify and recognize the problem of the missing and dead Aboriginal women in this county, in which case measures to do that are called a waste of money.

          Funny how all your priorities involve punishing people who are not like you.

          • Gayle,

            You simply look stupid (er) writing something completely off topic, but hey……if that’s all you got.

            And frankly, we don’t need to investigate dead or missing aboriginal women. we already know who is to blame for most of the violence.

            It is aboriginal men.

            As for punishing people who are not like me….well…in this case yes.

            I’m all for punishing people who think murdering soldiers, or innocent people is just hunky-dory. These folks aren’t like me.

            please tell us Gayle…..how would you handle it?

    • How do you define terror?

      • JanBC….

        Watch the news. there are examples of it every day.

        It usually involves some dude named Muhammed at least twice in his name.

  3. Trudeau really is an idiot who still just doesn’t get it. For example, he wrote:

    “We should remember who we are. We are a proud democracy, a welcoming and peaceful nation, and a country of open arms and open hearts. We are a nation of fairness, justice and the rule of law.
    We will not be intimidated into changing that.”

    Translation: I will oppose any effort by Stephen Harper to enact legislation that will make life difficult for jihadis, and those who created them.

    He then goes on:

    “Criminals cannot and will not dictate to us how we act as a nation”

    Which again shows what a mental midget he remains. He cannot even bring himself to use the word “terrorist” to describe this guy who shot up the place. I suspect he’s afraid of losing Muslim support if he states the obvious.

    The Trudeau genius continues to shine through with this comment:

    “We deserve answers to how and why this happen. They will be vital in preventing any potential future attack.”

    Here’s a newsflash Justin. We already know how and why this happened. It was already reported, and the guy was already on a watch list. The how……he drove to Ottawa, pulled out a rifle and started shooting. The why is obvious, but again, Trudeau doesn’t want to state the obvious due to the potential loss of Muslim support. It happened because of Islam.

    More Trudeau pandering with this comment:

    “To our friends and fellow citizens in the Muslim community, Canadians know acts such as these committed in the name of Islam are an aberration of your faith. Continued mutual cooperation and respect will help prevent the influence of distorted ideological propaganda posing as religion. We will walk forward together, not apart”

    translation: I will oppose the Government in any legislation they propose to protect Canadians from Muslim fanatics…….but Muslim fanatics must continue to vote Liberal. He then states that Canadians know these “acts” (He still can’t bring himself to say the word terrorism) are an aberration of the Muslim faith. In fact, I think that more and more Canadians are becoming aware that this type of behaviour IS THE MUSLIM FAITH. (read the Quran, Justin…it’s all there).

    Justin then then wants to “walk together” in the future. another newsflash Justin….the larger the Muslim Community in Canada becomes, the more such instances like this will occur. You will have a hard time convincing the women who support you that the influence of Sharia Law is a good thing, but the real trick will be convincing gay Canadians that the line in the Quran that calls for them to be crushed to death…….is just a footnote.

    Every time this guy opens his mouth, he shows how unqualified he is to be a substitute teacher, let alone a Prime Minister. In fact, this speech is frankly embarrassing. I’m sure he worked on it with his Muslim advisor.

    pathetic.

    • Stupidest post you have ever done – and you have given us a lot to work with on that score.

      Translation – James Halifax will make anything, ANYTHING, about politics – even the death of an innocent man protecting our war memorial. He will do that by fabricating such utter nonsense as a claim that Justin Trudeau is more interested in protecting votes from certain segments of society than he is in the safety of Canadians.

      • Gayle….

        You may note….Justin Trudeau is a politician……therefore, it HAS to be about politics.

        And you may note gayle…..the way the Country fights these barbarians and prevents the cancer from spreading….is through legislation. Again…politics.

        But you just go ahead and pretend you actually care about the solider killed yesterday. I don’t think you’re fooling anyone.

        • He was radicalized, lone wolf, it wasn’t indoctrination.

          • Radicalization is indoctrination you half wit. If not for the rantings of a politicalized Islamic agenda this looser likely would have continued his lifestyle as a two bit criminal. But the long arm of Islamic extremism is always on the prowl looking for nutters who hate their own society enough to attack it. Seems like they will have a large audience in the extreme left.

          • Hi Dexter

            Kind of like how the right wing propaganda inspired the Oklahoma bombings.

          • Carpet bomber wrote:

            “He was radicalized, lone wolf, it wasn’t indoctrination”

            Carpet Bomber, let’s assume that what you wrote is indeed true. (And I think you are correct).

            Currently, there are several hundred “canadians” just like this guy…..

            What do you call it when you have an army of “lone wolves” in a Country like Canada?

          • Gayle once again displays her inability to grasp the most basic reality with this genius driven post:

            “Hi Dexter

            Kind of like how the right wing propaganda inspired the Oklahoma bombings”

            Really, Gayle? This is the best you can do?

            The post is about terrorism and so far you’ve inserted comments about missing aboriginal women, and one lone nut from the USA who was NOT a religious nut. He was a anti-Government nut.

            Gayle, if you cannot grasp the concept being discussed, or create a sensible argument, then perhaps you should stick to planning your next candle party.

          • James:

            Re you comment “… and one lone nut from the USA who was NOT a religious nut. He was a anti-Government nut.”

            The point Gayle is making, and which you completely failed to grasp, is that while Islam may have been his trigger, it was not the (excuse the expression; I know you’ll have trouble with it) root cause of his behaviour. Just as hatred of government was the trigger for the Oklahoma bombing – but not the cause of his mental issues.

            The problem is mental instability; the triggers, causes with which they identified and for which they thought killing others was the best way they could contribute to the cause. Ultimately, the problem is deeper than the immediate trigger.

            In short – and in words you might better understand – between the two of you, Gayle is not the one with the pointy head.

          • Keith Wrote:
            “James:

            Re you comment “… and one lone nut from the USA who was NOT a religious nut. He was a anti-Government nut.”

            The point Gayle is making, and which you completely failed to grasp, is that while Islam may have been his trigger, it was not the (excuse the expression; I know you’ll have trouble with it) root cause of his behaviour. Just as hatred of government was the trigger for the Oklahoma bombing – but not the cause of his mental issues.

            To which I respond:
            Keith, I grasp Gayle’s points….better than she does. My comment was directed towards the obvious fact that gayle really doesn’t have a clue what she is talking about; and relies upon deflection to avoid addressing the problem. Sort of like you do.

            As for terrorist attacks…..the ROOT CAUSE, is the Quran. Mental instability has NOTHING to do with terrorism. Are you saying that ALL terrorist attacks are due to mental illness? And please point to the studies showing that Timothy McVeigh had mental illness?

            Keith, the people who do this are not insane; in fact, many of them are highly accomplished in one field or another. Strangely enough, many islamic terrorists are engineers, doctors, or otherwise well-off individuals. The only illness the majority of these folks suffer from is exposure to the Quran.

            Keith goes on:
            “The problem is mental instability; the triggers, causes with which they identified and for which they thought killing others was the best way they could contribute to the cause. Ultimately, the problem is deeper than the immediate trigger.”

            Again, Keith takes a page from the Justin Trudeau playbook. Keith…..mental illness is NOT the cause of these attacks. I know you cannot fathom the level of hatred and depravity that these folks utilize…..but trust me, some people are just evil. End of story. Simply excusing such behaviour as “mental illness” may make you feel safer…….but it won’t make you safer.

            His final flourish:

            “In short – and in words you might better understand – between the two of you, Gayle is not the one with the pointy head.”

            In short, and in response, I should correct the reference, and perhaps amplify and include another. Both you and gayle have graduated from pointy heads…..to empty ones.

            I hope you are employed in a position that doesn’t require sound judgement, because the depth of your ability to notice the obvious is sadly lacking.

    • Agreed Mr. Halifax. JT is following in the typical idiotic Progressive mentality like Obama. I wish I could find a real Liberal, but it looks like the Progressives ate them.
      Look how America feels Obama now, wasn’t he supposed to be the second coming? The man to bring positive change? What an epic failure.
      If Canadians are dumb enough to vote this inexperienced trust fund baby tool into the top spot he will end up being reviled like Obama is being reviled now. No one likes a traitor.

      • Its radicals like you, you bozo, who try to drive fear in people all the time. Your just like Jason Kenny and the other cronies, going after Trudeau for visiting a mosque. You don’t think them stupid comments your guy Kenny makes, doesn’t cause the Muslim community to get pissed off being stereotyped by our own government, it isn’t a very helpful and a healthy conversation in these times. You and the con bunch you support, are nothing but free loaders angry old men who want to live tax free in a in our society and let the rest fend for themselves. Live Free Or Die, where did I hear that one before, I wonder. Your an idiot, it a good thing we have this computer between us, you bonehead.

        • Carpet bomber:

          How is he being radical for pointing out the truth? He is not trying to “drive fear in people all the time” as you suggest…..he’s pointing out what we face; its just that your “progressive” mind doesn’t like to admit that some cultures and religions are superior to others’.

          If the Muslim community wants to stop being sterotyped as being prone to terrorism or violence…then perhaps they should try a new approach. How about……

          “stop producing muslims who commit violence, or engage in terrorism?”

          That would be a good first step.

          As for your comments about angry old men being freeloaders….umm..sorry. We are not all old, or all men, but we most likely do pay more in taxes than do you.

          you should just thank us for paying your way, and leave it at that.

          • So conservative nut cases like you, like sit outside abortion clinics and shoot innocent people for their beliefs, that’s O K is it? What’s the difference between religious wackos who shoot Doctors for preforming abortions. This stupid eye for an eye, that’s your ideology, sanctioned murders by the state. Conservatives are free loaders off the country, everyone of you wants to live tax free. Your what real Canadian taxpayers call FREELOADERS. Conservatism is also the same thing as radicalism, we want our guns and we don’t want to pay taxes, but we also want to milk the cow from the other side of the fence without paying for the cow.

          • James: In place of the word “muslim” in your line “stop producing muslims who commit violence, or engage in terrorism”, you can substitute pretty much any religion or political philosophy. There are extremists of every stripe.

            Do you even know a Muslim? I do; the ones I know are as appalled by what has happened as I am. You are letting your own bigotry cloud your judgment.

          • Carpet bomber…clearly I’ve hit a nerve you didn’t want exposed.

            There is no other way to explain this latest post of yours. I point out the fallacy of your argument, and you become completely unhinged. Guess what I wrote was pretty close to the truth about what your life is like…and you get all defensive.

            To clarify:

            I don’t sit outside abortion clinics; and in fact, am pro-choice. In fact, most Christians do not either. There have been a couple, but they are dead, or in jail where they belong. And even those nuts only targeted people they thought were “guilty” of something. Muslim fanaticsl….target everyone.

            The rest of your comments sound as though a 14 year old anarchist took over your keyboard.

            you really think your response was worthy? It was actually just embarrassing (to you). Methinks your tinfoil is coming loose.

            And again….people who are conservative, tend to be better paid, and pay more taxes than the real freeloaders. You know the type carpet bomber….they tend to vote NDP.

            Now go back to your basement and worship at the alter you have built for Jack Layton.

            Oh…and I am still awaiting my thank you for supporting you with the (too high) taxes I pay to keep you fed and sheltered.

          • KeithBram wrote:

            “James: In place of the word “muslim” in your line “stop producing muslims who commit violence, or engage in terrorism”, you can substitute pretty much any religion or political philosophy. There are extremists of every stripe.”

            Keith, are you really this daft? Let’s try a different approach. Instead of substituting any religion in that line…try this. Look up the last…oh..I don’t know; 5000 cases of terrorism that have occurred over the last 20 years, and see how many attacks were carried out by the Hindu’s or buddhists. Or christians or Jews.

            Now count the number committed by Muslim’s. Even you may see a pattern if you look close enough.

            You go on:

            “Do you even know a Muslim? ”

            Actually, I know hundreds of them; maybe not personally like you do…..but the names and faces are all over the place. They are usually attached to a story about someone being stoned to death, killed in a massacre, or blown up by a car bomb; or flying planes into buildings.

            I know a few personally, though they are not my friends. I suppose I could have been friends with some of them, but even the “moderate” ones seem to have a lot of trouble with my Jewish friends. Ask the ones you know how they feel about the Jews, Keith. See if they answer honestly.

            And you finish with:

            “I do; the ones I know are as appalled by what has happened as I am.”

            Then perhaps, Keith….you should ask your friends why their religion seems to produce so many of these nutcases.

            and this:

            “You are letting your own bigotry cloud your judgment.”

            No Keith, you are allowing your dependence for your “progressive” identity to cloud yours.

          • James: As I mentioned to you in the comments on Harper’s speech, I had lunch the other day with a large group of people, including some Muslims and Jews. Eating together; having a good time; celebrating the retirement of two coworkers. We have Jews, Muslims, Christians and pretty much every other faith among our staff; in 20 years I have never heard of any religious strife in our workplace.

            You, James, are incredibly hung up on a stereotype. I, on the other hand, try very hard to judge people as individuals, rather than on the basis of any labels that may get attached to them. As a Newfoundlander, I’ve had more than a few people react with certain stereotypes to my heritage – but nothing compared to what I’ve seen gay or non-white friends have to put up with.

            You seem determined to tar all Muslims with the same brush. They are all terrorists or potential terrorists. Well, James, with well over a million Muslims in Canada, if you are correct shouldn’t ALL our streets be flowing with blood?

            Did you know, James, that the Muslim faith is not one big monolith? Like Christians (or Jews), they have quite a few divisions – and much of what they fight over is the differences in belief between those branches. You may want to do a little reading here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_schools_and_branches

            Over the past few decades a number of highly publicized incidents of Catholic priests and brothers having abused young boys. Based on those stories, did you assume all Christians are pedophiles? Or Just all Catholics? Or just all Catholic priests and brothers? Or did you conclude that there are some bad apples among what, by and large, are good people trying their best to lead good lives and follow their faith?

            Yes, James, there are possibly at this point in time in the world’s history, more Muslims killing in the name of their beliefs than there are people of other faith systems. At least it would seem so based on North American news reporting (which may have a certain unintentional bias). And maybe we should ensure that people coming to Canada from certain areas of the world should be given closer scrutiny before being admitted. But by no means are all Muslims terrorists. Not even close.

            And on that note, James, you’ll have to excuse me, as this Newfoundlander has to heed the impossible-to-ignore call to put on me sou’wester & goat rubbers, kiss a cod, toss back some Screech and go club and skin alive a few seals. Some shockin’ good, b’ye!

          • Keith wrote:
            “Yes, James, there are possibly at this point in time in the world’s history, more Muslims killing in the name of their beliefs than there are people of other faith systems. At least it would seem so based on North American news reporting (which may have a certain unintentional bias).”

            I’ll take that as some type of progress on your part, though your continued inability to come right out and say that Muslim’s and ISLAM are responsible for the vast majority of attacks is not surprising. I suppose we could take a page fromt he CBC, and call them actions by “militants”…but there you go. Watching you twist and squirm while trying to avoid stating the obvious is at least a sign of progress.

            And more:
            “And maybe we should ensure that people coming to Canada from certain areas of the world should be given closer scrutiny before being admitted.”

            Certain areas? Really….you mean like Germany, Britain, France? You’re making progress, Keith…and you are part of the way there. Why don’t you just come out and say it? By certain areas….we all know what you mean. You should have the balls to say it. Areas such as Iraq, Egypt, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Morrocco, Somalia, Pakistan…etc..etc…

            Oh well…it’s a start.

            He ends with:

            “But by no means are all Muslims terrorists. Not even close.”

            No Kieth, not all muslim’s are terrorists. But even you must agree that the VAST MAJORITY OF TERRORISTS ARE MUSLIMS. And further, far too many muslim’s (who may not be terrorists themselves) support the aims of the terrorists, even if they don’t engage in violence themselves.

            lastly…..SCREECH….is made in Jamaica, and it’s disgusting. I’ve been screeched in, I’ve kissed the Cod, and the vast majority of Newfies I know, are pretty good guys.

          • “No Kieth, not all muslim’s are terrorists.”

            Well well well! A dim light has gone on!

            James, that’s the point I keep making – and you, up til now keep trying to deny. Truth is, only a very small percentage of them are (number of Muslims I’m aware of who have committed or arrested for planning a terrorist attack in Canada divided by the number of Muslims in Canada gives me 0.000024% of the Canadian Muslim population – and that’s after rounding up). Yet you would have us ostracize ALL Muslims in Canada based on the actions of a very few.

            Do you want to know who among the Muslim (or any) community end up as terrorists? Those who feel left out; disenfranchised; whose disenfranchisement leads to hatred and seeking comfort from radical beliefs.

            So your solution, then – ostracizing Muslims within Canada – will likely lead to more, not less, radicalization and acts of terror.

            It’s basic common sense.

            And yes James – I know where Screech is made. I also know is is made for and bottled by the NLLC. I know it was traditionally brought to NL as trade goods – we sold them saltfish and bought the rum. What’s your point? That you know where it comes from does nothing to diminish my point about ludicrous, cartoonish stereotypes. That you’ve been screeched in and kissed a cod means, in fact, that you have been sucked in by the joke we play on stupid visitors in the name of tourism. i.e. – another example of you falling for stereotypes. Many NLers – myself included – won’t be party to a screech-in because we feel it’s a nasty joke to play on someone who is just trying to fit in.

            My example in my last post was a cartoonish representation of how many seem to see us; it in no way resembles me or most NLers I know. The same holds true of most stereotypes: There may be a passing resemblance to some among the people being stereotyped, but it gives a warped, cartoonish look at those people as a group, and ignores the individuals.

            In closing: Try seeing people as individuals. Not cartoons.

          • Keith wrote:
            ““No Kieth, not all muslim’s are terrorists.”

            Well well well! A dim light has gone on!”

            No light was necessary, as I belive I have already told you I was aware that not ALL muslim’s were terrorists. I did point out however that almost ALL TERRORISTS are Muslim. And I believe studies and polling have also shown that the MAJORITY of Muslim’s around the world hold values diametricallly opposed to Canadian values.

            More from Keith:
            “James, that’s the point I keep making – and you, up til now keep trying to deny. Truth is, only a very small percentage of them are (number of Muslims I’m aware of who have committed or arrested for planning a terrorist attack in Canada divided by the number of Muslims in Canada gives me 0.000024% of the Canadian Muslim population – and that’s after rounding up). Yet you would have us ostracize ALL Muslims in Canada based on the actions of a very few.”

            Keith, if you are interested in Numbers…..answer these questions.

            1. Of all the terrorist attacks in the last 40 years, what Religion did the perpetraotrs of the violence follow?
            2. What religion, and its followers believe that women are second (or third class) to men?
            3. In Canada, of the last 10 terror attacks, or thwarted terror attacks, what was the religion of those who committed, or wanted to commit the acts?
            4. Of all the “immigrants” or “refugees” who came to Canada over the last 30 years, who were convicted, of, or charged with terrorism offences; how many followed the same religion as those in points 1 to 3?

            More from Keith:

            “Do you want to know who among the Muslim (or any) community end up as terrorists? Those who feel left out; disenfranchised; whose disenfranchisement leads to hatred and seeking comfort from radical beliefs.”

            Keith, there are thousands of people in Canada who feel exactly as you describe above. Most however, do not engage in terrorism or violence other than street protests. Can you guess what needs to be added to the mix before the “disenfranchised” you describe above start considering whacking off people’s heads? Oh…and for the record, many of those who commit such acts are NOT disenfranchised…their islam-icised.

            More:
            “So your solution, then – ostracizing Muslims within Canada – will likely lead to more, not less, radicalization and acts of terror.”

            No, Keith. the solution is not to ostracize Muslim’s the solution is multi-step. First step of course, is making a list of terrorist producing countries, and STOP accepting Immigrants from those regions. Second step, is to start rescinding citizenships and deporting those who espouse terrorist ideology. Begin at the mosques, as this is where most of this crap begins. Third, do not allow IMAMS from such regions preach in Canada. Fourth……pay attention to points 1 to 3, and ACCEPT no accomodation for extremist behaviour. If this means we need to “plant” someone in every mosque…so be it.

            more:
            “And yes James – I know where Screech is made. I also know is is made for and bottled by the NLLC. I know it was traditionally brought to NL as trade goods – we sold them saltfish and bought the rum. What’s your point? That you know where it comes from does nothing to diminish my point about ludicrous, cartoonish stereotypes. That you’ve been screeched in and kissed a cod means, in fact, that you have been sucked in by the joke we play on stupid visitors in the name of tourism. i.e. – another example of you falling for stereotypes. Many NLers – myself included – won’t be party to a screech-in because we feel it’s a nasty joke to play on someone who is just trying to fit in.”

            Keith, in fairness to my Newfie friends….they told me all about it. I knew what I was geting in to before it happened. Still had fun though.

            More:

            “My example in my last post was a cartoonish representation of how many seem to see us; it in no way resembles me or most NLers I know. The same holds true of most stereotypes: There may be a passing resemblance to some among the people being stereotyped, but it gives a warped, cartoonish look at those people as a group, and ignores the individuals.”

            Keith, sterotypes are based upon observed realities, only they have been amplified to make them appear cartoonish. I also worked with quite a few “newfs” and I know that they are for the most part pretty good folks with a taste for seafood. But stereotypes of Terrorists are also based upon observations; only the cartoon amplification is often not required when you see Muslim mobs rampaging through the streets every time they feel their prophet has been mocked.

            Lastly:

            “In closing: Try seeing people as individuals. Not cartoons.”

            Keith, I see individuals based upon what I have observed. What I have seen over the years is thousands of “individuals” acting like savages, or supporting those who act like savages. Cartoons are funny, and not serious.

            I see nothing funny about women being raped and then stoned to death for committing “adultry”
            I see nothing funny about thousands of headless bodies in mass graves, while their heads are displayed on wooden poles
            I see nothing funny about underage girls being traded amongst savages and called “marriage”
            I see nothing funny about children being tortured and decapitated.
            I see nothign funny about Christian parents being forced at gunpoint to bury their own children alive or face the massacre of their entire family.

            This is not a cartoon world, Keith. There is a lot of ugliness and horror out there, and if someone doesn’t try to stop it….it won’t stop.

            Now just go have lunch with your buddy. While you’re enjoying your Falafel…ask him why so many adherents to his religion see this as normal.

        • ” Let’s try a different approach. Instead of substituting any religion in that line…try this. Look up the last…oh..I don’t know; 5000 cases of terrorism that have occurred over the last 20 years, and see how many attacks were carried out by the Hindu’s or buddhists. Or christians or Jews. ”

          If your theory is that the Quran is to blame, to the exclusion of other religious texts, it’s obviously ridiculous to limit yourself to 20 years of a 1000 year+ history.
          So, applying your meticulous scholarship, can we safely conclude that the Bible is to blame for all but destroying the populations and cultures of 3 of the planets 6 inhabited continents, and more recently murdering more than 6 million Jews?

          • Lenny…..

            You think the Bible is responsible for the Holocaust?

            Hmmm…and all this time, I thought it was Hitler.

            but at least its nice to see you admit the Holocaust happened.

            by the way….if it was the Christians or Jews doing all the head-hacking, I would be just as critical of them.

          • Can’t answer the question?

          • Heh. You cannot reason with James, as it is impossible to reason with someone who is unreasonable.

            It is, however, amusing to see how he tries, and fails, to address legitimate points.

      • Dexter, there are a lot of REAL LIBERALS in Canada.

        It’s just that in Canada, a real Liberal is called a “conservative”……

        the folks who support the Liberal party are not LIBERAL…….they’re statists.

        • I think its the other way around. I’m getting under your skin. The reason most conservatives are rich, is because of Steve Harper and his tax cuts, which are really of no benefit to lower income people. I see in your last post you don’t have much time for the little people, you know the less fortunate, the ones the rich like to associate eventually as turning into radicals. And I see you like throw the word Muslim around a bit. Are your a racist James, because you certainly sound like one. You should get an education on tolerance, compassion and understanding, because as long as your a racist, you will always be ignorant.

          • Carpet Bomber…..

            No one gets under my skin, but if it makes you smile to think so….fill your boots.

            As for Conservatives and tax cuts……..what was it like before Stephen Harper? Pretty sure…many were already rich. It has nothing to do with harper….it has to do with work ethic and the ability to plan.

            As for tax cuts not being a benefit to lower income people (maybe not in your case)…please explain how NOT letting low income folks keep their own money hurts them?

            You refer to “little people”…but here’s a news flash Carpet; most of us started out as “little people”, but we choose not to get stuck in the rut. We worked our way up the ladder, as many of today’s little people will as well. Wealth has a lot to do with skill, hard work, and sound financial planning……but more importantly, it has to do with age. If you’ve been around a while, you tend to accumulate the sum of your efforts. If on the other hand, you prefer to whine and sit around on your ass complaining that the RICH FOLKS aren’t paying your way…then congrats. Log on to Maclean, assume the name “Carpet bomber” and show the entire readership that your a shiftless complainer.

            As for Muslim’s and being a racist; sorry. anyone can be a muslim; they come in all different colours shapes and sizes. Race has nothing to do with it.

  4. Typo:
    “We deserve answers to how and why this happen.”
    Missing an -ed.
    Seems like such a small thing,
    But the erosion of basic attention to detail —
    to calm, thoughtful work —
    seems to characterize much of Canada’s politics
    these days.

    I appreciate and share the sentiment – sentiment is easy.

      • This coming from Gayle…

        LOL

        Gayle, every time you post, you sound like a silver back looking for a mate.

    • Smart and rational people know and understand the difference between a person with mental illness and an act of terrorism, only fruitcakes and ignorant people go off claiming terrorism without evidence.

      • Carpet Bomber…..

        I know you prefer you perpetual state of denial…..but this was terrorism.

        Smart and rational people know that much at least.

        No wonder you don’t get it.

        • Treason maybe[and that’s a stretch], but not terrorism, but it would have been up to the court, if this guy had to be alive, to find if he was fit to stand trial first. Last I new, Canada gave up hanging people back in the 60s. Canada has no financial interests in Iraq, we don’t conquer nations, we rebuild them. It’s O K for people like you to shoot your mouth off and ring fire alarms all the time when you think we have terrorists roaming our streets. you know other countries have to take the brunt of people flowing in over there borders whenever other countries drop bombs on them, while Canada sits over in another part of the world all snuggly and warm in their beds. Do you realize how much war causes citizens to be displaced, have you ever been in a war zone to watch people run in fear because someone from another country is bombing them? Harper has himself in a pickle right now and he knows it, if he cuts out or continues after 6 months, he will wear it, and Canadian support may drop by that time. Even the chief of the RCMP[Paulson]calls it radicalization, not terrorism., so who do you believe Harper or Paulson? So your argument is mute.

          • It’s not mute I can hear him just fine. Moot on the hand could be argued………….

          • Carpet bomber…..clearly, you do not know what treason is.

            If you sell secrets to a hostile nation….or betray your country..that is treason.

            If you go on a killing rampage and murder innocent people in the name of Islam….then that is a good example of terrorism.

            Radicalization….is the first step in becoming a terrorist. Being radicalized doesn’t mean you’ll go on a rampage and murder innocent people……but the chance are you won’t condemn it.

            As for WAR……sometimes is is necessary.

            Perhaps you can enjoy your comfy bed while kids are being decapitated and murdered…..but many of us think we should at least try and stop it.

            Just go back to drinking your latte carpet bomber. People better than you will allow you to do so with a clear and easy mind. Leave the heavy lifting and hard work to the folks who agree with my view. And while they protect you….please feel free to condemn them for it. You’re allowed to do that in Canada.

  5. Pearlyq: Just when was it proven that this act was committed by an Islamist terrorist ? The word Islam comes from the word Salema . . . which means peace, purity, submission and obedience. Islam is submission to this belief. It’s clear you haven’t read the Christian bible one zot. A young woman’s stoning to death by all men of the village re no proof of virginity is the moral compass. The punishment for wives not submitting to husbands, is death by stoning. And what about your neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 states this person should be put to death. Are you morally obligated to kill your neighbour. The bible supports many values that were normal in the Bronze Age, but would now be criminal offenses.

      • The West does not practice stoning. Stop deflecting and justifying disgusting acts because people acted like savages in the 10th century.

        • Your comment makes no sense. In any event, it seems this argument has come full circle.

          There is a tacit acceptance here that just because parts of the Bible promote violence (and they do) does not mean Christianity is a violent religion. The same can be said about Islam.

          Some people are crazy, and evil, and they will torque the meaning and words of a religious document to justify their actions. That does not mean there is anything wrong with the religion.

          • Gayle,

            If you don’t think there is anything “wrong” with Islam…….then clearly you haven’t been following the news for the last…umm…I don’t know…..

            1400 years?

    • LiamHH….

      Please tell us the last time Christians were found stoning anyone who didn’t follow the bible?
      Hasn’t happened in over a thousand years.

      Now tell us the last time Muslim’s stoned someone who didn’t live by the Quran. Here’s a hint:

      it was yesterday.

      • “Please tell us the last time Christians were found stoning anyone who didn’t follow the bible?”

        The bible is often used to justify gay bashing; attacks on abortion clinics… etc. I’m sure more than a few rocks have been thrown during some of these attacks.

        • Try again when the Christians start hacking the heads off of three year old girls, Keith.

          • You asked a question; I gave an answer. What’s your problem, James? Reality messing with your illusions?

          • Keith,

            If you cannot see the difference between gay-bashing, or protesting aboriton clinics, with the pre-meditated murder of thousands of innocent people, then you have more serious issues to deal with.

            do you really think anyone gives your argument any credence when it is obvious to anyone paying attention that you are doing your best not to STATE the obvious?

            It’s beneath you. (more along the lines of what I would expect from Emily or Lenny)

          • I reiterate: You asked “Please tell us the last time Christians were found stoning anyone who didn’t follow the bible?” and I answered. Now you’re off on a completely different tangent. Try to stay focused.

            As I didn’t give you a concrete example last time, check this out as a more complete answer to your question: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Man-70-Stoned-to-Death-for-Homosexuality-Police-118243719.html

            As to “the pre-meditated murder of thousands of innocent people”: Remember James, we are talking about Muslims in Canada. None of them, to my knowledge, are running around beheading children. We don’t have thousands of dead in our streets.

            We already have a screening process that seems to be doing a pretty good job of ensuring the radicals don’t get to immigrate. So far, the only Muslims who have managed to carry out their plots on Canadian soil are the two last week: homegrown converts. Outliers among the Canadian Muslim community.

            You started out foaming at the mouth over Muslims. Period. Making no distinctions between them; each as bad as the next. That’s idiocy – pure and simple. I’m glad to see in more recent posts you’re pulling back a bit, but you’re still way over the top. You have some valid points but they are lost in the noise. And I’m done toying with you; come back when you’re ready to have a calm discussion.

    • Trolling again?

      Or are you perhaps simply trying to divert and deflect as per normal?

  6. “Canadians know acts such as these committed in the name of Islam are an aberration of your faith.”

    First of all, Backstreet Boy — I mean, Trudeau –, I do not know any such thing. The fact is that the people doing these things read the same Qur’an as anyone else and are just as committed to it, if not more than progressive Muslims. Yes, the majority of Muslims in Canada are progressive, but they do not read the Qur’an more accurately than the radicals. Muslims believe Muhammad was and is the perfect example and there is no room in Islam to challenge any of his actions or beliefs. The problem is, Muhammad was a militant leader who did not separate religion from state and thus those Muslims with the most strict adherence and loyalty to the Qur’an and the Hadiths will be hard pressed to deviate from Muhammad’s example. This is why ISIS is able to use the Qur’an and Muhammad’s example to justify the trafficking of Yazidi girls and women. Ever try to have a respectful debate with Muslims about the obviously wrong things that the prophet Muhammad did? Questioning his choices and behaviours is not allowed for Muslims. Everything from slaughter to polygamy and child marriage has to be defended by the followers of Islam. I know because I have had several of these conversations with the most moderate of Muslims.
    The inconvenient truth is, the religion of Islam, which does not leave space for the separation of religion and state, allows for the mistreatment and/or unequal treatment of kufr (infidels).

    Let me be clear. I don’t believe for one second that most Muslims are terrorists. Most are not. But to say that the terrorist ideology is an aberration of the faith is ignorant at best, and an outright lie that perpetuates the dangers radical Islam poses to Canadians, at worst.

    Secondly, I take issue with Trudeau’s priorities here. I understand that he may feel sorry for Canadian Muslims and any negative treatment they may receive because of the association the terrorists have with Islam, and he may be rightfully concerned about innocent Muslims being unjustly discriminated against. But the greater risk, and most immediate risk being posed here is not from non-Muslim Canadians to Muslims, but from radical Muslims (however small the percentage is) to non-Muslim Canadians. Muslims might be mistreated, but they are not dealing with the threat of being beheaded or shot. So perhaps at least an equal effort should be placed on making us feel secure?

  7. So interesting how many conservatives are using the death of this soldier as ammunition to attack Trudeau.

    Says a lot about certain conservatives and their priorities.

    • Really, Gayle? Me a conservative? haha! You know nothing about me, obviously. I am a FEMINIST. Seriously funny. Why don’t you try addressing whichever points I made that you disagree with instead of trying to deflect from the argument? If we are too politically correct to state the obvious, we can’t adequately deal with the problem. The religion of Islam needs to be challenged, as any other religion is. Why is it that Islam is the only religion that we are afraid to have discourse around? Perhaps if we talked more about this stuff people would be less likely to be converted and adopt a radical Islamic ideology?

      The fact that you would try to derail the conversation by attacking me personally says a lot about your integrity, or lack thereof.

      • BTW, even if I didn’t disagree with the Liberal’s loose immigration stance, I would still not support Trudeau because he is a joke. Who spends their time photobombing like a child and kissing strange women for pictures as a part of their campaign efforts? If a woman ever did that she would be dragged through the mud for acting like an idiot. Nobody would take her seriously. It should be no different for a male politician. And the way he addresses women in this country betrays a seriously flawed attitude towards women — namely, the belief that women are politically incompetent and unconcerned with the actual world issues. He obviously can’t see the global threat in the Middle East for what it is…probably because he’s too busy trying to use his “male charm” that really isn’t.

        I can’t take him seriously because he behaves like a fool in the face of some very serious global and domestic issues.

        • The Duck Dynasty Fan Club members are still at it again tonight. Trudeau was on his second passport when Steve harper was getting promoted to a page for Preston Manning from a mailroom clerk at the Imperial Oil co. Right now your guy[Harper} is out milking this tragedy to death as much as he can[football game, war memorial], and he is the only one who is doing this milking right now, he is sucking this dry, full speed ahead, but smart people are not buying it .This guy[Harper] has a ribbon of security around him[22mil a year] and a mentally ill person got 15 feet away from him with a shotgun. Now you tell me, do you think Canadians get value for their buck, harpers crack team of security[they weren’t even in the room with him] by allowing a mentally ill radicalized individual[not terrorist as much as you like to think so]to pass through barriers like jumping through hoops, to shoot an innocent soldier, doing his duty, and then get within 15 feet away from him[harper]. Do you feel safe in your bed. I don’t feel safe in my bed any longer as long as this stooge[Harper] is still in power[watch for the thought police]. He will finally get to use the taxpayers million dollar caddy now, and an finally justify it. The guy in a bubble that now lives in another bubble inside of a bubble. We are done here, you have a nice day now.

      • I did not even read your comment (I stopped at “Backstreet Boy” – too juvenileto merit my time).

        Next time maybe take a real close look and notice when comments are a reply to a previous comment, and when they are not. It really is not all about you.

        • Your comment was not in reply to anyone, which makes it a general comment addressed to everyone. Unless you’re typically fond of talking to yourself.

          • To everyone, but not about everyone.

            But surely you know this. I don’t see Carpet Bomber is here whining about me calling him/her a conservative.

            Maybe just admit you were wrong and move on.

          • But hey, at least you’ve got Halifax on your side!

            ha ha ha ha ha

      • Desley:

        On this topic, Gayle has brought up missing aboriginal women, AND the oklahoma city bombing.

        The only thing she has tried to do in this topic, is to tell us that the shooting in Ottawa had nothing to do with ISLAM.

        She’s a flake……not as much as a flake as EmilyOne….but still a flake.

        No one really takes her seriously. She’s just one more poster we use for comic relief.

          • Are you having trouble reading it?

        • I’m a him, and I’m not a conservative, but I have to say, I do like your point of view most times. People cant always agree on everything, but I know when I read intelligence[I do know the idiots here], and you and Emily one seem to make a lot of sense to me most of the time. I don’t always write like most here, words get jumbled in my head, but I do try. I do know the difference between right and wrong though, and even stupid ignorance. I’m also a very good judge of character, I smell a rat.

          • I can smell a rat, I meant.

          • You write just fine. I have no patience for people nitpicking over grammar and spelling. That is just people being arrogant and hoping to make others feel small. It is the substance that matters – not the grammar.

          • Carpet bomber Jumbled:

            “and you and Emily one seem to make a lot of sense to me most of the time. I don’t always write like most here, words get jumbled in my head, but I do try.”

            If you agree with EmilyOne “most of the time” that pretty much sums up where you are with regards to your view of the world.

            Emily’s words may flow with a little more clarity than do yours, Carpet…..but never fear. Her thoughts are just as jumbled as your words.

          • Gayle noted:

            “It is the substance that matters – not the grammar”

            Gayle……given the level of “substance” in anything you post…..you should stick to grammar.

            You want to have at least a part of your efforts being correct.

    • Gayle wrote:
      “So interesting how many conservatives are using the death of this soldier as ammunition to attack Trudeau.

      Says a lot about certain conservatives and their priorities.”

      to which I reply:
      So interesting how GAYLE seems more interested in defending the ideology that caused the soldier to be killed, than in condemning the killing itself.

      Says a lot about Galye.

  8. Interesting how the speeches by Harper and Mulcair didn’t generate anywhere near the same level of comments. Seems to be the reaching out to Muslims that triggered all the foaming at the mouth.

    The leaders – all three of them – were reaching out to ALL Canadians on the eve of an evil deed that left a nation in mourning. This was a time to set aside politics; to come together as a nation.

    Clearly, there are some (and it seems from the comments that they all support the same party) who cannot set partisanship and bigotry aside even for this.

    • Exactly. And thanks for coming here and being reasonable and rational. I’m apparently having trouble turning my snark off.

      • Can’t say as I blame you; had to make a few snarks at James myself.

  9. Trudeau, the man-child, once again has demonstrated why he should never become Prime Minister. He has no policy, limited intellect and no experience managing anything. Canada will be in dire straights if he becomes the head of our country. Harper is a class act who shows true leadership capability.

    • It is funny how, after all the discussion above, someone posts this mindless drivel that does nothing but prove my point.

      Conservatives and their crass politicization of tragedy.

      • As always is the case with you, Gayle…

        You have it backwards.

        Pointing out the obvious nature of the attacks is simple honesty.

        Trudeau is twisting himself in knots to avoid stating the obvious, as he is the one playing crass politics. He cannot bring himself to state where the threat is coming from, because he also knows that this is the same community where he plans to take a lot of votes in the next election.

        • Well, as usual, this is nonsense. In any event, it bears absolutely no relation to either Jerome’s post or mine.

Sign in to comment.